2020 Virtual Fall Forum & Fall Board Meeting
September 12 – November 8, 2020
Hosted by The American Daffodil Society
This ADS Virtual Fall Forum is open to anyone interested in learning about daffodils! Please consider yourself cordially invited.
Prior registration and payment is required for participation. Early registration deadline is 31 AUG. Late registration is welcome for an increased fee. The access code for each presentation or event will be sent approximately “one” day prior.
Your successful interactive participation via ZOOM in this virtual forum will require the following:
- Registration for the Virtual Fall Forum with a valid email address.
- If you plan to view the ZOOM session without participating, all you need is a web browser pointed to the Zoom site https://zoom.us/join and the meeting ID. By joining our meeting, you would see and hear everything.
- If you plan to comment, discuss, or participate in a meeting, download the “free” ZOOM client for your operating system. Windows or Mac Download. For the best experience use a laptop, PC or iPad. You can also download a ZOOM client from the APP Store or Google Play for your cell phone.
- Almost all PC’s, Macs, and mobile devices can be used with a modern internet connection.
- Web browsers known to work well with Zoom are Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. Internet Explorer does not work. Microsoft Edge is likely to work because it is based on Google Chrome.
- Please review this video guide for Joining a ZOOM meeting
- It might be beneficial to review this short video on ZOOM etiquette.
This is a new Venture for all of us! ADS recommends all participants become familiar and comfortable with ZOOM resources well before the start of our Fall Forum. You will need to have ZOOM ready to go on your device of choice. You are strongly encouraged to “join” a presentation in plenty of time (5-10 minutes ahead of time is advisable). Enhance your Visionary Venture experience by being prepared. ZOOM offers many tutorials on line to help you get started! See: ZOOM Guides and Tutorials. ADS is providing an opportunity for two different ZOOM orientation sessions. Please see the program schedule and consider availing yourself of one of these events, designed to help you.
Fall Forum Registration!
*Please note: Your registration fee includes all programming and there is no option for partial event registration.
The Registration Form for the 2020 Virtual Fall Forum & Daffodil Show can be downloaded in either MS Word or PDF format. Please complete a separate form for each attendee and mail your completed form, including check, to our Registrar’s address indicated on the form -OR- Email your completed registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org and pay online at the ADS Webstore.
Download Photography Show Schedule Here!
This year we celebrate daffodils by virtually sharing our photographs with daffodil friends and participating in the 2020 Fall Forum Visionary Venture Photography Show. Please download the “2020 Virtual Fall Photography Show Schedule” Rules and Classes above and these “Detailed Instructions” for sending in your entries for the show. We ask all to pre-register with photography show chair Robert Darling at email: email@example.com All entries need to be loaded and labeled properly on the Photography Show website.
We encourage all of you to view of the 2020 Virtual Daffodil Photography Show at this link > ???. Please feel free to cast your vote for your favorite photo. Official judging takes place during October and the winning Photos will be revealed at our special Photography Show recap event on November 8.
Schedule of Activities
All times for sessions are using USA Eastern Time Zone
- TBD — HOW TO ENJOY A VIRTUAL MEETING EXPERIENCE I, New to the world of virtual meetings? ADS Former President, Kathy Welsh of VA can help!
- TBD — HOW TO ENJOY A VIRTUAL MEETING EXPERIENCE II, New to the world of virtual meetings? ADS Former President, Kathy Welsh of VA can help!
Friday, September 11, 2020
- 3:30pm — ADS Finance & Executive Committee Meeting (This is a closed Executive session meeting)
- 12:00 pm — Welcome and Opening of VISIONARY VENTURE, from ADS President 2020-2022, Fredrica Lawlor of Cincinnati, OH
- 12:00 pm — ADS VIRTUAL FALL FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW EXHIBITION BEGINS
- 12:00 pm — ADS ONLINE BULB AUCTION ONE BEGINS ON eBay, Auction closes @ 7:00PM on Monday, September, 21, 2020
- 12:30 pm — ADS Board of Directors (BOD) Meeting, Presiding – ADS President, Fredrica Lawlor of OH. *All registered participants are welcome to “sit in” – but only ADS Board members may vote.
Saturday, September 19, 2020
- 12:00 pm — “ALL DAFFODILS ARE YELLOW, RIGHT?” ~ A Guide for Newcomers, presented by Mary Lou Gripshover and Tom Stettner, Jr of Cincinnati,OH *Your questions should be submitted in advance to Mary Lou at firstname.lastname@example.org and Tom at email@example.com
Mary Lou Gripshover has served ADS for many years in numerous volunteer positions. She was a long time Editor of The Daffodil Journal, an award winning quarterly publication. She served ADS as National President and as Executive Director. Mary Lou has spent many years curating the extensive ADS Library and archival resources, and scanning those documents for preservation. She has served as the ADS National Daffodil Registrar and liaison to the Royal Horticultural Society. In 1993, Mary Lou Gripshover was awarded the Peter Barr Memorial Cup by The Royal Horticultural Society. She is an accomplished daffodil hybridizer and has traveled extensively to study Narcissus species in the wild. Mary Lou is a recipient of both the ADS Gold and Silver Medals. In 2015, Mary Lou Gripshover was presented the first, and thus far – only President’s Medal, to recognize and honor her extraordinary achievements and superior service to ADS.
Thursday, September 24, 2020
- 12:00 pm — ADS ONLINE BULB AUCTION TWO BEGINS ON eBay, Auction closes @ 5:00PM on Saturday, October 3, 2020
Saturday, October 3, 2020
- 6:00 pm — DAFFODILS & BUNNY SLIPPERS ~ How to Enjoy Daffodils at the Computer, Ben Blake and Nancy Tackett of Martinez, CA with support from their Computer Assistant Technicians – Nahla & Simba
The husband and wife team of Ben Blake and Nancy Tackett have jointly served as Co-Chairs of the ADS Internet Services Committee since 2000. At that time, they assumed the care of the ADS email discussion forum known as Daffnet. In 2007, they launched DaffSeek, a web-site with a large daffodil database and photos, which continues to evolve to this day. In 2012, they launched the new Daffnet, a web-based discussion forum, and soon after launched the DaffLibrary and DaffTube websites. Today, they continue to expand the ADS use of the Internet with new server hardware and software.
Ben and Nancy are the first couple to receive the ADS Gold (2007) and Silver Medals (2016), and the RHS Peter Barr Cup (2008). They were awarded Honorary Vice-Presidencies of The Daffodil Society of Great Britain (2008), and Life Memberships in the National Daffodil Society of New Zealand (2012). Nancy served in many officer positions of the ADS and as President from 2018 through 2020. This couple has been growing and showing their daffodils since the early 1990’s. Ben is a Computer Engineer and Nancy is a Software Delivery Manager.
- 7:00 pm — ADS LIVE VERBAL AUCTION,
Auctioneer, Janet Hickman Lynchburg, VA
Grab your favorite libation and join ADS 1VP, Janet – for a lively and fun auction of some very desirable daffodil bulbs! Janet has curated the bulbs for both the “silent” and verbal auctions! ADS trusts you will be very generous in all your bids as you support our work as a nonprofit, educational organization.
Saturday, October 17, 2020
- 10:00 am — THE DAFFODIL VIEW FROM NORTHERN IRELAND, Presented by Julie & Dave Hardy of Esker Farm Daffodils of Omagh, NI
and with maybe a little help from their friends!
Saturday, October 24, 2020
- 10:00 am — THE DREAM TEAM TALKS HISTORICS – A Panel Discussion, Moderator: Ian Tyler of Standish, Wigan, England
* You are encouraged to send questions in advance to: Moderator Ian Tyler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Over 40 years of growing, showing and judging daffodils, – a daffodil nut! A gifted, entertaining speaker on all thing daffodils for 30 years. Ian held office in The Daffodil Society of the UK for 34 years. He presently serves as Chair of the Historic Daffodil Committee for ADS. He spends most of his time these days, tracking down and trying to identify historic daffodils for the Throckmorton, Backhouse, Brody, and Engleheart collections in the UK.
Panelists are Jason Delaney of St Louis, MO and Keith Kridler of Mt Pleasant, TX
Sunday, October 25, 2020
- 6:00 pm — MINIATURE BREEDING FROM KEIRA BULBS, Presented by Helen & Graham Fleming of Pialligo, AU
Saturday, October 31
- 1:30 pm — A SPOOKTACULAR PRESENTATION,
All About ADS Membership – including ADS Youth Membership & Youth Opportunities, presented by: Mary Malavase of Nantucket, MA. *ADS Youth Members are encouraged to wear their Halloween costumes while we learn and have fun!
Saturday, November 7, 2020
- 12:00 pm — JUDGING COLLECTIONS IN ADS SHOWS – A Panel Discussion, Moderator – Cathy Felton of Wenham, MA will be joined by Panelists: Janet Hickman of Lynchburg, VA, Mary Malavase of Nantucket, MA, Carolyn Hawkins of Cumming, GA, and Kathy Welsh of Oakton, VA. *All registered participants are invited.
This presentation is offered as a Judges Refresher Course for Accredited Judges of ADS with prior registration and payment of $5 USD Refresher fee. Questions for the panel, concerning the subject, must be submitted in advance to Cathy Felton at email@example.com
Janet Hickman, MD, is an ADS Accredited Judge and Judge Instructor as well as the ADS First Vice President. She has served as the Daffodil Chair of the Garden Club of Virginia and is the Horticulture Vice Chair for the Board of the Old City Cemetery and Arboretum in Lynchburg, VA. She grows about 1800 daffodil varieties and likes them all, from miniature to massive, Historic to brand new. She has enjoyed exhibiting in local, regional, and National shows across the country.
Sunday, November 8, 2020
- 1:30 pm — IBERIAN TRIPS – Wild Narcissus as a Pretext for Magic, presented by Juan Andres Varas B. of Valdivia, Chile
Andres is a lawyer and professor of private law, current Dean of the Faculty of Law at University Austral and Judge pro tempore at the Court of Appeals of Valdivia, former Secretary General of the same university, and Governor of Los Ríos Region in southern Chile. His interest in daffodils, and especially in wild daffodils, has led him to make several trips to Spain, Portugal and France searching, studying and photographing daffodils in the wild. In 2015, Juan published, with Sally Kington and John David, a translation of Flora Iberica’s Key for the Identification of the Species in the RHS Yearbook.
- 3:00 pm — ADS VIRTUAL FALL FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW WINNERS ANNOUNCED, presented by ADS Photography Show Chair – Robert Darling of Washington, DC
PHOTOGRAPHS WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING ON THE ADS WEBSITE (URL) UNTIL MIDNIGHT, NOVEMBER, 30, 2020
Join us on an exciting Visionary Venture at the 2020 Virtual Fall Forum
Questions should be directed to 2020 Fall Forum Chair, Jaydee Atkins Ager at: firstname.lastname@example.org